If you’re new to cleaning hardwood floors you might be concerned about keeping it in the best condition possible while also giving it a good cleaning. Here are some tips on how to keep your floor shining and in great condition.
Tips On Hardwood Floor Cleaning
Many home owners are drawn to the beauty of a hardwood floor and it is therefore a popular kind of flooring for homes. There are some things to consider though when cleaning a hardwood floor and care should be taken to keep the floor in a great state. Here’s what you can do:
- When you sweep hardwood floors use a broom that has soft bristles to prevent scratching.
- Vacuum your flooring about once or twice a week and be sure to use the brush attachment on your vacuum so that you don’t scratch the floor.
- Wood absorbs liquid so be sure to clean up all spills immediately and using a soft, dry cloth and be sure to dry the floor fully.
- If your floors are covered with polyurethane, you can use a very damp mop for cleaning.
- To avoid excess wear and tear, use carpet runners on areas that get a high amount of foot traffic and clean these often to be sure the dirt doesn’t seep into the flooring.
- Don’t wax your floors until you have looked up with the manufacturer what is appropriate to use. There are so many varieties of wood; you want to be certain you are using the correct product.
Hardwood floors add so much to your home and they are naturally beautiful and warming. If you do happen to get a stain on your hardwood flooring, here is something you can do to remedy it:
Take some sand paper to remove one or two layers of finish along the entire length of the board where you spotted the stain. Remove all dust, and apply the same type of finish that was removed. Be careful not to add more layers.
There is something so inviting when walking into a home with hardwood floors. Its rich textures; light or dark, old or new, offers a certain charm and elegance.